Bio CH4

Biomethane (or bio CH4) is a combustible gas resulting from the conversion of organic matter during a digestive process taking place anaerobically, or in the absence of oxygen. Since it consists of at least 97% methane (CH4), biomethane has physicochemical properties that are identical to those of natural gas.

Why biomethane?

Biomethane can replace natural gas in all its typical uses such as heating, industrial processes, power generation, etc.

Similarly, biomethane can be mixed into natural gas in distribution networks at an unlimited rate.

Biomethane and methane are both products of the same process of digestion of organic matter. The difference lies in the fact that in the case of methane or ‘natural gas’, this process took place over hundreds of thousands of years underground where the gas was trapped within the water table or layers of rock (shale gas), whereas biomethane is the output of a process controlled and conducted by humans in a confined environment (anaerobic digesters in production plants).

Put simply, there are two steps in the biomethane production process:

  • Production of biogas by fermentation in the absence of oxygen (in ‘digesters’). This biogas has a methane content of approximately 60%. The remaining 40% consists primarily of CO2, water vapour and traces of other gases and undesirable residual components (H2S, CO, NH3, etc.).
  • Purification and concentration of the biogas to obtain gas with a methane content that is equal to or greater than 97%, i.e., biomethane. This purification process guarantees that biomethane complies with the applicable technical requirements and health regulations.

Biomethane and the environment

Biomethane is a sustainable and environmentally friendly energy resource that meets the great challenges of our time:

  • Biomethane reduces geographic dependence on natural gas imports as it is produced from 100% local, 100% renewable resources (wastewater and household and agricultural waste).
  • Biomethane is a green, carbon-free energy source that effectively combats global warming.
  • Biomethane is the product of local industry, and its development contributes to the creation of skilled jobs and sustainable employment that is not subject to relocation.
  • Biomethane contributes to the transition toward a locally based low-carbon energy model by promoting the development of new eco-neighbourhoods that use green gas heating.
  • Biomethane used as vehicle fuel (bio-NGV) effectively reduces the carbon footprint of transport vehicles and city air pollution (no particulate emissions, less ozone, less nitrogen oxides, etc.).

suez-environnement newR-GDSlogoeurofinslogo sgs

Save